Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Book Review - Everyday Sexism


Now I'm sure there is some unwritten rule somewhere that your holiday reads need to be light, easy reads. But chose to ignore that memo because ya know fighting the norm and all that! But if I'm being honest I'd rather a good murder or something I can sink my teeth into over anything else. Don't get me wrong I'm a sucker for a good chick flick, but I want to be reading something that I never want to end but I can't put it down until it's finished. 

Anyway Everyday Sexism is a project I've seen on Twitter and I saw a few people on my feed had mentioned reading the book. Alongside Feminism, probably because they both walk hand in hand, sexism is something that I have a particular interest in; which you may have noticed if you follow me on Twitter. I thought my holiday would be the perfect opportunity and motivation to to give it a read and I really enjoyed it. 



I love that it's backed up with with real experiences, statistics and spoke about a range of areas in a women's life and how they are treated and portrayed from school life to the place to TV. But not only that it talks about problems women have to face in cultures all over the world and the sexism that men are also facing when it comes to being a father and doing the more "girly" things. 

It's got some pretty heavy stuff in it, but it opens your eyes to things you hadn't even considered or the truth in numbers. Evidence is important these days to actually get people to listen to what you're saying and prove your points. I recommend it to both men and women particularly those who are just brushing it off as if this isn't a problem in the world; it could really open your eyes and mind. 


Love

No comments:

Post a Comment