Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Why I'm a vegetarian

Found on Google images. 

If you're a regular reader of my blog or follow me on Twitter you may have noticed I went vegetarian about 4 months ago now. You can see that post here. One thing I've found in particular since going vegetarian is that people just don't seem to understand why I've chose to do this. So in true blogger fashion it inspired blog content. 

  1. It's not a health choice it's an ethical one and although I'm not a vegan I feel it's natural progression however I don't feel it's right for me at this moment in time.
  2. I came to the conclusion that animal welfare is more important to me then the fact I love a good steak. This decision has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like the taste of meat, I do, however for years I've ignored what is actually on my plate and didn't see it as an animal; to stop myself feeling guilty.
  3. Eating meat is murder. When did we decide we had the right to take a living beings life.
  4. Why is killing and causing harm to a pet or an animal you have cared for or hunting really any different then killing an animal for the meat industry?! I think because mankind has normalized this particular treatment and that because people have grown up always eating, it's hard to go against something that's pretty much engrained from a toddler.
  5. If you look over the actually killing of the animal, the treatment of the animal itself and it's offspring, both mentally and physically, is horrendous. These aren't dumb animals that doesn't feel pain, emotions. They are intelligent.
  6. Since becoming vegetarian I've learnt more about the vegan lifestyle and the effects the meat industry actually has on the world. This has definitely made up my mind this is the right decision for me! 
    For example:
  7. The animal agricultural industry is one of the leading causes of global warming. 51% of greenhouse gases created are generated by livestock and their products. This is more then all transport combined.
  8. A part of the rainforest is being cut down for cattle farms every second.
  9. It takes upto 5000 gallons of water for one pound of meat. That's a lot of water for not a lot of meat.
  10. There are also  health benefits which is often a motive for other vegetarians. 


If you comment I don't want any hate or negativity, I'm not writing this post to make people feel guilty or judge them for their choices. I simply want to offer up my reasoning behind my choice to help other understand and maybe influence someone decision to go vegetarian as well.

Love

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to a lot of this post. I've been a veggie for over a year now and couldn't imagine ever eating meat again. I felt like such a hypocrite, loving my own animals but then pointlessly and cruelly eating another? I'll never go back.

    Roxie x
    The Beautiful Bluebird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I struggle, I'm fussy so It's hard finding foods I like, but it's always comes down to what's more important to me and it's always on on the animals side!

      Delete