Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Why I think feminism is so important -

Although feminism is slowly becoming more accepted and welcomed, I think there is always going to be this stigma around the word Feminism. If we made a whole new word up but kept the same movement, I honestly don't believe there would be such an offence around it. Feminism truly does just mean A movement for granting women political, social, and economic equality with men and it intertwines with sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia etc all of which are forms of oppression. All life is equal.

After asking a few female family members about the subject, I discovered they don't consider themselves feminists mainly because they don't know what it really is or even see the point in it any more. Which got me thinking about why is it so important to me? Why do I think it is still so important? 


Image found on Google
Feminism is still important because young girls around the world are denied education, they're forced to live a certain way and not have certain aspirations because that is a "man job". Because women are still believe to be second classed citizens compared to men. I believe in feminism because young girls are being forced into the sex trafficking or marriage often to men double their age or are being forced into circumcision. Women everywhere are being discriminated against just because they are women, because they may have children in the future. This isn't okay. 

Women are constantly objectified on TV in films, programs and adverts. Jobs have been made for women purely for sexual reasons. The world is rife with domestic abuse, sexual violence and 'lad' culture. It's never okay to force yourself upon anyone in anyway without their permission. Women are constantly judged for having too much sex or not enough, for dressing 'slutty' or are prudes. People are constantly being judged on how they look, are they beautiful or ugly are they fat or are they thin. 

Sexism, racism, homophobia etc have been ingrained into society for thousands of years, so much so that sometimes we don't even realised we're being sexist or racist. We have created this oppression we can get rid of it.


Image found on Google
                                 
I recently saw on Twitter someone ask why do we need feminism in the 21st century especially in the western world? While the 'western world' has come far from when women had no say, that doesn't mean women in other countries have. Why should we stop fighting for a cause when their are still women around the world who are being treated in such a backwards thinking way?! 

But the thing is there is still inequality in the 21st century western world. Women still haven't reached equal pay with men who are doing the same job? Women of ethnicity earning even less or even being denied opportunities for certain jobs because of their sex or colour. Women are constantly put down, even by women! They know how they can be judged. For example: 

When I was in junior school, so between the ages of 7 and 12, I distinctively remember priding myself on being a "tomboy" and doing everything to dissociate myself with the girly girl and blonde bimbo stereotypes. I refused to wear skirts or dresses, or use/wear/like the colour pink. Actually that's one that's followed me into adulthood. I'm a blonde and to even like the colour pink would obviously meant I was a dumb blonde barbie girl, no? I knew that this was not a good way to be perceived as.

How is it ok that when you should be at your most carefree, I somehow knew that it was looked down upon to be seen this way?! Honestly women themselves can be one of the worst to put yourself and other women down. 

Like I said before women are constantly sexually objectified. Women are catcalled and shouted obscene things at by men, often older men to young girls in uniform. Women are raped everyday and often find people make them feel like they are to blame. Some women are afraid to go outside. This thing is this can start from a pretty young age, for example: 

Another experience that I recognise now when looking back at when I was in secondary school, so between the ages of 12 and 16, is the treatment of girls by the boys. The comments you get "complimenting" or "putting down" other girls bodies is not only graphic but uncomfortable.Not only the leering but the lack of respect for personal space and actually the girls, it's not uncommon for chests and bottoms to be groped. I actually remember there was a phase when the boys would rip the buttons of girls school shirts. 


It's NEVER ok to put your hands on someone else inappropriately if they don't want you to. I honestly never considered this out of the norm when I was at school. Nor did I know  that actually groping without consent is considered sexual assault and actually I don't think the boys would know this either. Education is key here, this should be taught in sex education as soon as possible.

All of these are only a few examples of what is going on in the world and the experiences mentioned are only my own experiences and I know women, particularly of other cultures, have been subjected to far worst. All you have to do is look at the news to see it. Not that we should belittle anyone's experience, none of these are better then the other. They're all part and part of a bigger issue. These are all signs that something needs to be done, that something needs to change.
Image found on Google images.
I'm not naive enough to believe that I'm going to change the opinions of everyone in the world or that we are going to be able to get rid of those that choose to take advantage of the vulnerable or feel they have some kind of right to do the things they do. But at least I can sit among those that didn't just turn a blind eye to what's happening! Shouldn't women of all colour, religion or if they're transgender, be treated equally amongst themselves and alongside men? Shouldn't everyone be treated the same? because no one is better then the other!

If I had made all these point without once uttering the word feminism would you have agreed with me? If I had just said that I wish women were treated equal in every sense of the word, across the globe,  would you still have rolled your eyes at what I was saying? 


All of these are just examples of why I think feminism is still so important!

There is also so much more that I could talk about but hopefully I've peaked at least one of you guy's interest, so if you'd like to learn more on the subject there is a great book called Everyday Sexism that highlights the things women have to face, I've actually wrote a post about it here or even just check out their twitter feed. Also check out the HeForShe campaign,  Feministing and also The Malala Fund.



I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this subject! However if you're going to be nasty then please just don't comment. 

Love


2 comments:

  1. Feminism is definitely important. I think some people don't like to be labelled but do stand for equal rights, I think that's where certain wires get wrongly crossed. Great post, I don't see important issues like this talked about enough!

    Anything & Everything | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, I also think this particular label puts people on edge itself! :) I'm glad you enjoyed my post!

      Courtney xo

      Delete