Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Becoming vegetarian - 1 Year on






If you're a regular reader or follow me on Twitter you might know I became vegetarian about a year ago now. So I thought I would just do a little update post per say: 

Why - 
I chose to become vegetarian for ethical reasons, I was a big eater before but I was a hypocrite. I didn't like to think of beef/chicken/pork as animal, it was just something I got from the supermarket in a restaurant. However it got to a point in my life where I felt guilty eating meat and seeing pigs at a pig farm made me sad and I made the decision that day to go vegetarian. I don't believe any animal has the right to die so we can eat it. Why would you eat cows if you wouldn't eat dogs? What really is the difference?

My experience -
For the first month or so I didn't completely cut it out, I'd still have a full roast on Sundays and if I was eating out at any point I'd still have a steak. I kind of eased myself into it, I suppose so it didn't feel so drastic; my family are meat eaters, I'd never really known any different. After a few months of not eating meat you barely even think about it, it's not something I miss and having a substitute like Quorn or not at all really is the norm now. In fact I've found myself cooking more and trying new things, I have a stew recipe here if you'd like to check it out. 

The only real problem I have being vegetarian and it really is down to being a super fussy eater is eating out and finding variety in my meals. When eating out I often end up with 3 or 4 side dishes as I rarely like any of the veggie options on the menu, although it definitely is a lot cheaper now! 

Other people -
People's reaction to me becoming vegetarian is completely bizarre. I'm not one of those that are going to push my thoughts and opinions on to you, you do you at the end of the day. While I wish everyone stopped eating meat completely I know that's not really going to happen. 
However when people are rude or make sly comments it gets my back up and then I'm prepared to fight my case and be as explicit as I want. 
However its remarkable how many people pull faces at you after asking or it being mentioned. Or that cliche question of "what about bacon?". I've also had a well your not going to save the world comment. 1. I'm not trying to save the world just end the suffering 2. what's wrong with wanting to save the world?! 

I've luckily never had any abuse or bad experiences like those that I've heard of and most people are generally quite excepting. 

What now?
My next aim is to cut out diary and eggs from my diet. While I don't eat eat cheese, butter, yogurt or drink milk, I do have it in when its in food and I do eat ice cream now and then. I'm a fussy eater and hate trying new things so I won't be completely vegan any time soon but in the long run that is my goal. 

Advice

  • Make sure you are doing it for you and not because you feel forced into it. If you're not 100% committed you probably will fail. 
  • You don't have to go 'cold turkey' ease yourself into it cut it down to a few meatless meals a week and so on until you feel you can go completely with out.  
  • Check your food packaging, you'll be surprised how many things have gelatin in even when you wouldn't think so. 
Are you vegetarian or thinking about it? Leave me a comment below. 

Love
Courtney xo 

Also if you have nothing nice to say please don't say it at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment